A major reason for documenting processes is in adding value to the business (Opens a new window). Otherwise, companies would not invest time, money, and effort acquiring ISO 9001 certification.
Reasons given for not doing business process documentation:
- I know what I'm doing / People in this role know what to do
- We do this all the time, so it's not worth documenting
- We do this very infrequently, so it's not worth documenting
- I can choose to cut corners and do the job quicker
- I don't have time today
- It's faster if I do it myself
- It's too complex to document
- It's too risky to let anybody else do this
- We don't need that bureaucracy!
A poll asking How many "Keys of the Kingdom" people can you identify from your work life? (Opens a new window), wanted to determine how big a problem this was in companies. The situation was worse than expected, with ⅔ having at least two encounters.